Thursday, June 14, 2012

I don't trust me with Myself


 “I would rather walk with God in the dark; than go alone, and walk in the light
As I know with him by my side, the darkness will be ever so bright” Debbie Looney.

I was so intrigued by this poem when I first read it a few years ago, not only because it so beautifully articulated what we believe in the Christian faith, but the depth of faith in God instead in self. It can easily be misunderstood as a human need for company, but I reckon it expresses man’s deep need for guidance, because regardless of how bright it/you may be; human beings will intentionally take the sinful path anyway. I suspect that part of the reason people do that is the misunderstanding of what is more valuable between the body and what the body contains, the spirit. We like to feed the container and totally disregard the content. We feed the outside which only helps us to be more arrogant, proud, greedy, and we forget the spirit which can produce of love, peace, kindness, joy, gentleness, self-control, faithfulness and patience which we would all agree that we need in our lives. When human being have problems which commonly have to do with the heart, they often try to fix it with something that is far from being the solution; alcohol, drugs, sex, etc which ends up hurting them more. Clearly we are our own worst enemies and cannot be trusted with ourselves, hence we need God. There is something that has gone terribly wrong in the human spirit and it needs to be dealt with spiritually, any attempt to deal with it physically will lead to more frustration because “flesh gives birth to flesh, but spirit gives birth to spirit” 

The tragedy of a life led by self is that self is conditioned to live in the dark without realizing it.  So when I follow self’s lead, I am moving in a direction which seems right but has devastating repercussions in the end; hence the proverb “there is a way that seems right in the eyes of man, but in the end leads to destruction”.  Self has a way of messing things up when he has all the resources to do the right thing. Self lives for NOW and wants to be satisfied NOW and seldom considers the future.  He does not consider that “whatever you do today will affect your future”.  Self is all about pleasure and will always reminding you of things like “you are still young, you need to enjoy your life to the fullest” and intentionally forgets to let you know that “God will judge you for all that you have done”(Eccl. 11:9). I gave up following him; I woke up to the truth, that I cannot continue playing God. God is the only one that knows the end of the beginning, knows the path to everlasting life that we all so yearn for if we were all to be really honest with ourselves.  I realized in Christ that life was far deeper than what meets the natural eye, the physical.  Part of following Christ for the disciples was letting go of self so that they can receive the gift of God who was the Christ.  They had to trade something small for something bigger than themselves, which was Christ; the son of the living God.

Moses refused to leave without the presence of God. In Exodus 33:15 he says these words: “... If you are not going with us, please do not let us leave this place ...” Moses knew where he was going, he knew how to get there but he acknowledged that he needed God who knows everything. Moses could have just said; “well, if you don’t come I will just get a map and find my way to the Promised Land.” But knowing that he was helpless leading the Israelites himself, he acknowledged his need for God to go with them. This was not for companionship; he had Joshua and Aaron who were close to him. This was a different kind of need; he needed guidance from God which Joshua and Aaron could never give because they need it themselves.
 
Joshua 24 ... Joshua gathers all the tribes of Israel and gives them a history lesson. He reminds them of Abraham their father.  He tells reminds them of how he parted the red sea and made them walk on dry land. How they crossed the Jordan River without drowning and many other miracles that he performed.  Then in v15 he says something that I think is still relevant for the modern Christian,

 “... Choose today whom you will serve ...” It’s almost as of God was reminding them of the times when he was with them and the times they worshiped other gods (relied on self). And from that history lesson, there was some homework ... CHOOSE WHOM YOU WILL SERVE. I had my one on one history lesson and the same question was asked as homework, and I have chosen to let go of self and serve God.  Won’t you attend your one on one history lesson and do your homework and give your answer to the master teacher, Jesus Christ...


God Bless You



Prayer

Lord, I acknowledge that too often I try to work it out myself

And neglect the call of your spirit to a life of righteousness and

Justice.  I pray that you rid me of myself and fill me more

with yourself that I may reflect you more than myself.

Today I choose to follow the lead of your Holy Spirit. Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment